The banana bun (a close relative of the über chic French twist) is the ultimate cool-girl style. It’s timeless, elegant and one of the most versatile looks—dress it up (it’s the perfect bridesmaid ‘do) or down (is it just us, or does it pair perfectly with a fuzzy fall sweater?)—so we’re thrilled it’s back and trending for fall.
Below is our version of the classic banana bun. Tuck in the ends for a formal vibe, or leave them out for a more casual look! Here's how it's done.
2. Pull all hair to one side and twist the top third inward, then secure with large bobby pins.
3. Roll the next third of the hair inward, slightly below the first section. Secure with large bobby pins, and gently pancake the bun for volume.
4. Roll the last section upward, and pin. Tip: For a more casual, daytime look, leave out about an inch of hair at the bottom.
5. Spray with a flexible hairspray, then Beachwave the front pieces once more if desired.
6. Brb. Trying this right now and every day this season.
Get your buns ready—it’s officially festival season! Our favorite trend this year? Mini space buns with loose, Beachywaves™. Get creative, and add some craft store cording and charms, and you’re ready for Bonnaroo, Lolla and everything in between! Here’s our guide for how to get your new, go-to summer style.
1. Create two small ponytails near the front of the crown area, and secure with clear elastics.
2. Using a Half Up, roll each ponytail into a bun, wrapping the hair around the Half Up to conceal.
3. Wrap colored suede cording (you can find it at a craft store, like Michael’s) over the top of each bun, and incorporate the cord into a basic three-strand braid underneath each bun.
4. Braid about two-thirds of the way down, then use the cord to secure the braid.
5. Attach charms (you can find these unicorn and bear pegasus charms at a craft store) to the bottom of each bun.
6. Add some waves using the Beachwaver S1, then gently comb through the waves with your fingers.
7. Take your new buns for a spin, dancing queen! 💃
We’re officially dubbing 2017 the year of the ponytail comeback, and in 2018, those ponies are only going to get bigger and bolder. Case in point—this gorgeous, double braid pony celeb stylist Sarah Potempa recently gave “The Resident” actress Emily VanCamp for her appearance on “The Chew.” Beachwaves? Check. Accent braids? Check. Tons of texture? Check. Here’s how Sarah did it!
1. Curl all the hair away from the face using the Beachwaver® S1.
2. Leave a few Beachwaved pieces out in the front, and create two French braids on either side of the head—one thicker than the other, for variety.
3. Bring all the hair back into a low pony, and secure with an elastic. Take a thin piece from underneath the pony, spray with hairspray and wrap it around the elastic, then secure with bobby pins on the top and bottom.