This stunning topsy tail updo by hairstylist Diana Giannini (@lzhouseofhair) may look super intricate, but, trust us—you can totally master it at home. To find out how, we visited Diana—an OG Beachwaver user—during one of her recent coloring and braiding classes, where she was demoing the Beachwaver Pro 1.25.
“The Beachwaver really is the only iron I ever use!” shares Diana. “It cuts down on styling time, and it’s great for hairstylists because it keeps our alignment straight, which takes pressure off our wrists.”
Want to try this look for an upcoming summer wedding, prom and—let’s be honest—EVERY special occasion in between?! Follow Diana's steps below to learn how to create your new favorite ‘do.
1. For the perfect foundation for the style, Beachwave all the hair at a slight angle using a 1.25” barrel. Use a smaller barrel (like the Beachwaver S.75) around the face. Spray hair generously with a dry texture spray.
2. Take a small section from the top, and twist inward and back. Holding the ends with one hand, pinch and pull (pancake) the surface to add volume. Repeat on the other side, then secure with a clear elastic slightly right of center and slightly below where you want the pony to end up.
3. Repeat step 2, but this time secure slightly left of center (Pro tip: crisscrossing the ponies this way conceals the elastics).
4. Repeat this process on the left, then right, then left, etc. As you work, take a small section from the underside of each pony, and pull gently to tighten.
5. Once you reach about halfway down the head, continue to take hair from each side but do NOT twist. Instead, secure with an elastic, then open the pony, and pull the hair through (create a topsy tail).
6. Once you reach the end (you can go as far down as you want—Diana chose to leave a few inches out at the bottom), secure, then spray with dry texture spray. Pancake any pieces that feel tight to add volume. Tease the ends with a comb or your fingers.
Voilà! Now you're ready for any special occasion the summer season throws at you!