We all know Emily Blunt + red carpet appearance = MAJOR hair inspo—especially when celeb stylist and Beachwaver inventor Sarah Potempa is involved.
Case in point? Emily’s ethereal, French braided crown updo Sarah created for the TIME 100 Gala Tuesday night.
“I was inspired by Emily’s beautiful Brock Collection dress to create a braided crown with a gold leaf accent piece,” shares Sarah.
And yes, this style looks elaborate, but as Sarah explains below, it’s actually just two French braids crisscrossed and pinned together! Here’s her how-to, so you can recreate Emily’s look at home.
1. Create a clean side part, and blow dry with the On Set Pro Brush. Once dry, smooth with the Coast Pro.
2. Starting at the root, separate the hair into three pieces, and create a French braid, leaving out a few face-framing pieces. Then repeat on the other side.
3. Pancake the braid by gently tugging on the edges of the hair to give it more texture.
4. Take the two tails of the braids, and wrap them around eachother. Secure to the base with bobby pins.
5. Using the Coast Pro, create S-shaped waves on the face-framing pieces. Spritz a flexible hairspray to flyaways and smooth.
6. Finish by adding a Beachwaver Leaf Hair Chain above the braids, securing with bobby pins.